Saturday, October 1, 2016

2 chicken eggs and 1 duck egg today, unless you count the 8 dozen that Jessie has brought me in the last couple of days!  Wow!!  I love the barter system.  Judy has been keeping me in eggs the last few weeks, and I've been swapping cucumbers.  I imagine she's turned into one by now.  ;)

At closing time I invited Merlin out with me.  He has to take his Frisbee with him to round up the flock.  However, tonight one of the California Chicks decided to do a wild little chick dance with him when he tried to herd her towards the coop.  Ain't gonna boss no California Chick in her own back yard, dog!  Merlin dropped his Frisbee and proceeded to make circles around her 5 or 6 times.  I broke it up before it got nasty.  I'm not sure how good Merlin would look with a pirate patch on one eye.

Everyone was going in quite well except the Welsh's.  They were bedded down under the Walnut tree.  I told Merlin to "get the babies" and Maezee lit up like a Christmas tree!  She started whining or talking or whatever it was....She wanted to "get the babies" as she knows from early on what "get the chicken" meant to help me catch one.  Well, the girls have gotten too big to "get the chicken" now without hurting them.  So that game is over.

Anyway, Merlin did a fine job of getting the babies in, and the babies know I mean them when I say, "Come on babies."  Just didn't realize birds were so smart until I raised them from tiny.

Maezee and Jewel have turned into some version of Game of Thrones.  They both want to be the Queen.  Most recently I've noticed that they're getting a little rougher.  I'm not sure what's happening, but they are each getting some fighting blood on themselves.  I check them over and can't find the source of where it's coming from.

When Shadow, our first Rott, was a couple of months old and we brought him home, he had a hole in one of his ears.  It was from fighting with a sibling.  It wouldn't heal.  I tried everything. So finally old Doc Hopkins clipped it and sewed it up, and he was good as new a couple weeks later.

With Maezee and Jewel I can't find the wound.  So, I'm thinking it might be loose teeth.... There's a first for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment