Saturday, October 22, 2016

Too much going on today to gather eggs.  At closing time the ducks chests were almost dragging the ground.  Apples and squash, I'd say.

You've not lived until you see a flock of chickens running across a walnut covered yard.  A chicken obstacle course.  I wish they'd scratch them into a pile for me.

I had Maezee with me all day and I can't believe what a difference a day makes.  Her personality has always been calm, attentive, and shy but willing to wiggle over to get petted.  Sometimes with a little dribble when it's Sam or one of the male visitors.  Not today!  She had several chances to wiggle shy dribble and not once did that happen! She did her usual wiggle sideways up to Sam, but no dribble! So, I'm seeing that it may have been more tense than I realized.  I really thought she'd sit at the back door and whine.  Not once.  When I ran the vacuum she went to the porch and got in her kennel.  She knows her safe place.

She laid on my lap for a two hour nap, too. She kept my hands warm.

I let Merlin into the front yard with Maezee for a good romp, and then I went out back to play with Jewel. She was happy to see me for about 60 seconds, then she wanted Merlin back.  Well!  I never!

I'm glad they are happier. Maezee and Jewel meet noses at the fences and did ok the first few times, then while Maezee and I were in the garden for a third time they growled and lunged at each other at the fence.  It's an open woven wire.  But later, at the wooden fence they were licking each others noses.  What?  Only they know for sure, but I'm not taking any chances.

Apples are ready and I'm over loaded with them.  I made up three bags ready for pies, then my hands and elbows gave out.  JoAnn posted a good looking apple butter recipe for a slow cooker, so that's probably next.  I think I have the ingredients.

Picked seven more Black Krim tomatoes for the window sill.

That's it for flock, pack, and garden!


No comments:

Post a Comment