Sunday, October 16, 2016

Ten chicken eggs and four duck eggs!  Good girls!  The bright red combed California Chick escaped over into the east side neighbors weed patch today.  I lured her back to our yard with a bucket of feed.  I then herded her into the coop and caught her with Merlin's blanket.  She's fast!  I've heard most California chicks are.  Anyway, we came into the house and I cut her right wing feathers.  Wasn't 2 hours and she was flying back out, but she came right back a few minutes later.  I think she was just showing off.  She can still fly up to the 3rd row from the top in the fence.  Maybe if she gets bigger she won't be able to fit through those squares as easy, but I'm not sure she's going to get much bigger.  She's a great laying hen, averaging one a day!  So, I hope she's smart enough to escape a hawk or cat.  They'll start getting more hungry as winter nears.  Sam said to tie a weight to her feet, might have to try that.

I've been saving feed sacks because my egg hatching friend Gail gave me the idea when I stopped at her house and they were laying them down as a weed barrier.  I mentioned to Sam why I was saving them, because they are such good strong sacks.  His idea was the line the walls of the coop with them.  AH HA!  A great way to keep the winter winds at a slow roar and I think they will look cool!  Better than painting every few years.

The Pack was mostly on their own today as I took pictures at the back of the farm of the fall colors, then stayed inside mostly to keep from getting bitten by those tiny black speck of a bug that was out there today.  They're worst than sweat bees!

As for garden news, not much to tell.  I made a tomato and cucumber salad for supper with fresh, I like that word, fresh, tomatoes and cucumbers with ACV and balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a little bit of Italian seasoning.  Put curry chicken on top and called it a good job.  Sam thought it was weird.  Maybe it was, but it was good all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment