Sunday, October 30, 2016

A flurry of feathers at opening time, 'round about 6:45am.  Four duck eggs!  One right in the middle of the yard and one under the tall grass, two in the coop.  Someone is getting sneaky.  Seven chicken eggs.  The hens are using more of the boxes every day.  Kind of cool.  I guess they wanted to break from a boring routine of laying in box #1 and box #10.

After seeing the rooster crowing video on Facebook, I went and thanked Chester for not being that annoying.  I carried the egg basket around the rest of the yard looking for more hidden duck eggs, and Chester was right behind me all the way, with his hens, and a few ducks, and he was talking the whole time.  I'm sure they were more than disappointed when they realized I only had their eggs in the basket and not more feed.  They're getting scraps and leftovers tomorrow, so that'll make up for it.

If you've been here to see the flock, you know how the geese can talk fairly loud. They answer every "hello."  However, at closing time when they go in I quietly say "night night" and they mimic me with a very quiet "honk honk."

A Rogue Red went free ranging with the California Chick today.  I'm not sure which Red it was, but she didn't wander far from the north fence.  She's not as brave as the CA Chick, yet.

It seems that Maezee is taking her Alpha spot at bedtime.  Whenever Merlin tries to lay in the corner on the blankets, his usual spot, she nudges him out and he goes and lays in front of the freezer.  He and Maggie used to have their favorite spots and Maggie's was under the table we have out there.  I tried to get him to lay under there tonight and he looked sideways at Maezee, seen the look on her face, and he went back to being in front of the freezer.  She also gathered all the toys that were on the porch and is hording them next to her.  Winds of Change.  Merlin does not mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment