Monday, October 31, 2016

Happy Halloween from the flock and Merlin and Maezee!

Nine chicken eggs and four duck eggs.  Today three of the ducks laid their eggs under the yucca plant next to the coop, one laid hers inside under the shovel that leans against the east wall.

One of the Welsh Harlequins suffered a broken blood feather today.  Blood feather!  I know, right?  Well, I'm having to assume that she and a Rogue Red went at it today and the geese were too late or sleeping on the job.  I herded little Miss WH into the coop and caught her to have a better look.  Her wing had quite a bit of blood on it before I filled the water pans and pools.  After she took a few dips, she didn't look nearly as bad, but I still wanted a look.  I actually found the broken feather still caught up in her other feathers.  No more bleeding could be seen as I ruffled through her wing feathers.  I hope she'll be okay tonight.  They can bleed to death from a blood feather that's not taken care of properly.  You're supposed to pull them when they're broken.  Alas, either the Red pulled it for her or she pulled it herself?  I don't know.  This is a day to day, learn as you go, life full of feathers lessons for me.

It's official.  Maezee Mae has taken the Alpha position.  Merlin waited for her to come through the door several times today.  Maybe he's being a gentleman, but I think it's more like Maezee's being Alpha.  She was also napping on top of the picnic table again today.  Another prime spot she's picked for herself.  Merlin ever so sweet, just looks up at me and smiles.

2 comments:

  1. Funny, how the male dogs get tbe bad rap as aggressive but its really the female dogs who holds the hard line give us all the name "bitch", eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed!! I'm just now looking at the comments here, Wynne. Facebook has blocked my blog as SPAM and no one will get back with me about it. So, I started putting it back on FB instead, and thinking about just not using this anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete