Thursday, October 27, 2016

Three duck eggs and six chicken eggs. The chickens are starting to use other boxes besides the favorites.  So, I'm thinking perhaps it's the newest ones that are using box #3 and box #6.  At least this way they aren't clucking for half an hour at the hen that's sitting in their favorite box #1 or box #10.  One of the black sexlink hens will get up on the round platform and cluck louder and louder until the laying hen finally either gives in or lays her egg.  I've seen the impatient ones give up and move to another box.  That'd be my choice.

I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up my order and a man sitting outside saw that I was carrying empty egg cartons.  He asked me if I needed more, I declined but went over to talk to him.  He talked my legs and ears off, and picked my brain fairly hard.  I came away with a lot of info on his family's genealogy and that his grandma used to put cayenne in her chicken feed.  He wasn't sure why, thought maybe it kept them warm. He told me in great detail how she went about doing that.  I'll spare you and myself that detail.  I came home and researched it.  Two fold.  Cayenne is a dewormer and egg laying booster! Jack pot!  I got on Amazon and put an order in for 5#'s worth.  I'm hoping to see good results in a few weeks time, but some say less time than that!

Sam and I took Merlin and Maezee to the back of the farm to the woods today to run.  Merlin hadn't ever been back that far.  I'm not sure why we've never taken him.  I suppose because we never left Maggie behind, and off lead Maggie was a runner!  I mean as in, run and keep on running!  Like to the next county type of run.  Bless her soul.

Anyway!  Merlin and Maezee had a great time running, chasing, and creek drinking.  A great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment